So I posted here about what kind of coconut oil I use. That post was a direct result of being asked the question several times, which was a result of me talking about how awesome it is, a LOT. That being said, this blog is meant to be a ministry. I do not intend to make it one big advertisement. I DO love to tell people when I find great products, especially when I think they make us better wives and mothers by helping us stay healthy, making our families healthier, or saving us money.
That is why I love coconut oil so much. In the past 5 years, with the addition of 2 children with a chronic illness (learn more about that here, here, here, and here), I have learned to listen to God more closely when it comes to our lifestyles and our health. I truly believe He gives us all we need. I believe that there are often remedies in nature that can help us even better than man made remedies. I also know that He made doctors and allows them the knowledge to do what they do, so I do not discredit them nor do I try to heal all illness with natural medicine. I just have grown to be more open to trying certain things, and I will blog about that often.
For now however, I want to let you in on some ways I use coconut oil personally and KNOW that it works. I do not know anything about some of the many claims about illnesses it can cure, and I know nothing works for everyone all of the time, but I DO know that it works for these things for me.
4 Products I Have Replaced With Coconut Oil
· Shaving Cream- Seriously, and I have not noticed a negative effect on my razors.
· Facial Wash- Apply, leave a few minutes (while you brush your teeth or if in the shower while you wash your hair or shave), then wipe clean with a warm, wet wash cloth.
· Moisturizer- I use it all over my body. It is awesome, and yes, I do use it on my face after I wash with it. I have oily skin but this stuff is so light I still need a thin layer after rinsing it off, and it soaks in very quickly…just trust me and don’t knock it till you try it. This past week I have even been using a drop of lavender and a drop of frankincense essential oil to it and the results have been amazing. I will post more about how our family uses essential oils later.
· Baby Lotion- I have a 9 month old in addition to my two older children (5 and 9) and she is the first I have done this with. Instead of commercial baby lotion, I rub her down with coconut oil, and at night I often add a drop of lavender to help her relax and sleep.
Other Ways I Use Coconut Oil
· Cooking- It is great for frying eggs and sautéing. I have not tried baking with it but I hear it is good for that also, and I would believe it.
· Eating- If you have a good quality oil like the one I posted about here, it really tastes great. It is sort of toasty and sweet, but very subtle. I mostly love to put it in my coffee (be prepared for greasy lips), but I have spread it on toast and it was yummy.
· Oil pulling- So weird I know, but swishing it around in your mouth for 20 minutes really does whiten your teeth. I cannot attest to all of the claims of what oil pulling can do for you, but I know dental professionals agree it can be good for dental health, and I really and truly feel more energetic on days that I do it. It is just finding the time to go 20 minutes without talking that is hard for me!
I do not claim or even know if I believe it can cure all of the things it says it can. There is really no way for me or most regular people to test many of those claims. I have personally seen it works great in the ways that I use it, and I know it increases my energy when I add it to my coffee. I know this because I often only get one cup of coffee these days and it is okay! They say this is the medium chain fatty acids at work. I also know my skin is healthier and better than it ever was with expensive skin products, it tastes good, and my teeth are whiter when I use it for oil pulling. So, there you go. Give it a try. No harm no foul right?
If you use coconut oil, how do you use it? If you don’t, are you planning to give it a try? What are you going to try first?