Decoding the Martha vs. Mary Issue

I hope the title of this post didn't lure anyone here under false pretenses.  I do NOT have this issue decoded.  In fact, just the opposite, and I would love to get your views on it.  I KNOW there is a lesson here, but for some reason I always feel like  I miss it.  It is one of those stories those of us who have grown up in Church have heard many times, Jonah and the Big Fish, Noah's Ark, Adam and Eve, Queen Esther, and of course many stories involving Mary and Martha.  The one I am referring to is the one where Martha is doing all the work and Mary gets to listen to Jesus teach.  I would like to issue a disclaimer here.  I am being honest because I am hoping to get some clarity.  Jesus told Martha that Mary was gonna get to do that, and she should.  He did not tell her she could take a load off as well.  Every time I hear this or hear a lesson on it I can't get past the "what about me" syndrome.  I KNOW it is better to listen to Jesus, but the work has to be done, and Martha was doing it.  And while she was told Mary was going to get to do what I am SURE they both wanted to do.... she was not told she could indulge.  Hmmm... seriously, I know Jesus is always right and I have a big lesson to learn here, but I'm not there yet.

The closest I have come to some clarity and a breakthrough is this.  Perhaps the "seasons" rule comes into play here.  This is not my season to do whatever, be it ministry, Tuesday morning Bible Study, Wed. night AWANA, or whatever for whatever reason.  It was not Martha's season to listen, but rather to serve.  I came to this, and began to feel better about the whole situation when it was brought to my attention that the next time we see Martha her brother has died.  She hears Jesus is there and she rushes out to meet him not worrying about the mourners who have filled her home.  This time, Mary stays and deals with the company.  This was Martha's season to listen and Mary's season to serve.  Of course we should all always listen to the Lord, but I hope you get my point.

Okay, enough rambling, I would LOVE to get your thoughts on the matter.





No comments:

Post a Comment

MyPoints.com
Coupons.com