Her Arms Are Strong for Her Tasks

"She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks."  Proverbs 31:17

I will not lie.  I do NOT excercise.  I do not get up early and do a DVD.  I don't walk on our treadmill, but my husband does:)  I do not leave the house early and walk.  Occassionally I take my kids for a walk around the neighborhood, but not consistently.

Several years ago I read the verse above and was very, very convicted about my lack of excercise.  Until  I really thought about what it says.  "Her arms are strong FOR HER TASKS."  Our phenomenal lady was in shape, but it doesn't appear that she spent significant time working on this.  Of course, we aren't told one way or the other, so she very well may have, but in light of what we are told, it doesn't look like it.  She was simply strong because of the work she did everyday.  Please, please do not think that I am say to not excercise.  If you have the time to do that, then by all means, enjoy.  I would love too, and in another season of life I very well may.  It is not for this season, however. 

So what does this look like in our daily lives?  Consider the following daily choices that could add up to big changes over time.
  • Park as far away as reasonable and possible.  (Crazy, I know, but I promise it works!)  Choose the space that is the fartherist away at work, the market, wherever.  If you have to carry a toddler, you are burning even more calories!
  • Take the stairs!  Skip the elevator, unless it's a hundred flights or something.  If it is too far, consider taking the stairs to another floor and getting on the elevator there.
  • Work one handed whenever you can.  Carry a small child in the other and you will burn extra calories.
  • Get active.  If your are playing with your kids, play chase, wrestle, whatever. 
  • Remember that vaccuming, dusting, and other household duties burn calories!
  • Make multiple trips.  Sure, it is more effecient to print everything at once and go get it all at once, but if you have the time, and you share a printer that is away from your desk, print things in batches and make more trips. This works for putting away laundry, groceries, etc. as well! Every little bit counts:)
So, if you are like me and have trouble fitting in "formal" excercise, consider looking for ways to become strong from your everyday tasks:)

Blessings and have a great weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment

MyPoints.com
Coupons.com