The Grief of Others

Long time no post… sorry about that. I really try to post two or three times a week. I tend to post about what is going on in my life or what has in the past. My goal is to post about practical ways to be more like the Proverbs 31 Woman, and resources to aid us in that journey. As the description at the top says, I tend to lean toward financial responsibility only because of my accounting background. This post isn’t really about that though. It kind of is, but only indirectly. This post is about grief. Not our own, but how we handle other’s grief. My grandfather passed away Saturday night and I have been out of town to be with my family until after the funeral. Of course I am sad, and I will miss him, but I know he is with our Heavenly Father, and he is happy.

I observed the differences in how others grieved. Some broke down, some just sat with a spacey look, some recounted memories, some sat silently with a tear slipping every now and then. Still some went back and forth between these. When I was younger this would have all made me VERY uncomfortable. As I’ve grown, not so much. You see, I’ve learned how to handle the grief of others. You do not have to say anything. You don’t even really have to DO anything. Flowers and food are always nice and appreciated. However, I have found the BEST thing to do is to BE there, listen, and maybe even cry if you feel the need. Cry with them, not for yourself, but for them. It helps to know others care. I believe this is scriptural. When Lazarus died, Jesus went to Mary and Martha, He was THERE with them, and Jesus wept. He was grieving also, as Lazarus was His friend, but he was Mary and Martha’s brother. As Christians we are supposed to love our fellow humans, and love on them.

These are just some random thoughts on grief, and how as I’ve grown I’ve become less awkward being around it. What have you learned about helping others grieve over the years? It’s something we’ll all have to deal with. How does a Proverbs 31 Woman do it?





2 comments:

  1. Am visiting from iFellowship. Very thought provoking post! Am now following your blog. Would love for you to check out my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So well said!! It reminds me of the verse that says to mourn with those who mourn.

    When I think of Proverbs 31 and this situation - I think of Proverbs 31:25 - strength & dignity.

    I'm here from iFellowship and will be praying for you and your family during this time of loss.

    ReplyDelete

MyPoints.com
Coupons.com